CURRENT JOB OPENINGS
Whale Trust, a whale research non-profit organization based on Maui, is seeking a part-time Office Manager to manage administrative and bookkeeping responsibilities including accounts payable and receivable, donor database management, merchandise inventory and sales, donor correspondence, and administrative support for events.
The ideal candidate is courteous, organized, detail-oriented and self-motivated. Must be computer-savy and proficient with database management. The Office Manager should be able to work efficiently and effectively with little daily supervision and in accordance with GAAP (Generally Acceptable Accounting Principles). Typical schedule will be 19 hours per week but may vary depending upon time of year. This position requires availability to work on projects and at outreach and education events on the weekend and/or evening hours 3-4 times/year.
• Manage basic bookkeeping tasks, including Accounts Payable and Receivable, timely and accurate invoice and check preparation and mailing, entering information into QuickBooks.
• Liaising with vendors and donors regarding billings and collections, and general banking.
• Prepare books for monthly reconciliation by independent bookkeeper and for annual audit.
• Assist with budget monitoring and planning by providing accurate and timely financial reports.
• Maintain and manage donor information across Constituent Relationship Management platforms (MailChimp, Donor Database), QuickBooks and contact lists.
• Donor correspondence with guidance from Executive Director and Operations/Events Director.
• Responsible for overseeing, tracking, packaging, and distributing merchandise inventory and sales.
• Administration of insurance-policy renewals and compliance items.
• Electronic file maintenance.
• Answer and direct phone calls.
• Monitor mail and assist with correspondence and mailings.
• Order supplies and research new deals and vendors.
• Maintain and manage merchandise and research storage units.
• Prepare materials for internal and external meetings.
• Provide administrative support and participate in education, outreach and fundraising events.
• With minimal supervision, providing support and troubleshooting as needed to the Executive Director and Operations/Events Director in the performance of their duties.
Associate’s degree (Bachelor’s degree preferred) or equivalent work experience.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the following areas:
• Basic bookkeeping tasks using QuickBooks or other accounting software;
• Preparing spreadsheets in MS Excel;
• Using advanced features in MS Word;
• Managing Constituent/Customer Relationship Management database (e.g., Salesforce, eTapestry);
• Working with a variety of digital platforms and computer programs including Microsoft Suite, Google Docs, WordPress, MailChimp, and social media;
• Administrative and/or office management.
A strong candidate for this position will demonstrate the following:
• Interest in Humpback Whale research, education and conservation;
• Integrity and ability to act in a truthful manner, to present accurate and appropriate information and to exercise excellent judgment regarding confidential information;
• Highly organized with strong time-management skills, able to set priorities, communicate progress, and meet deadlines;
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and as part of a team;
• Must have the ability to work harmoniously in a team effort emulating the “Aloha Spirit” to fellow employees, donors and partners.
• Must be able to lift 40lbs comfortably and safely (e.g., books and merchandise).
• Must be physically able to access all work areas and perform all tasks and services required to fully perform the requirements of the job.
• Personal transportation required.
Interested applicants should review the Whale Trust web site then send a letter of introduction and a detailed résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 25, 2017. Off-island applications and applications without a cover letter will not be reviewed. We will begin reviewing applications and scheduling interviews immediately. Applications received after August 25, 2017 may not be reviewed, though the position will be held open until a highly qualified applicant is found. Candidates will be required to supply contact information for several references. Due to the nature of this position, we may also conduct a background or credit check.